Coconut Buttermilk Southwestern Chicken is a Keto, Low Carb, Gluten & Dairy Free, Paleo, Whole 30 crock pot or grill freezer meal! It is only 7 main ingredients and 3 net carbs! We love the zippy flavor!
Coconut Buttermilk Southwestern Chicken is so easy to make several bags up ahead of time, keep in the freezer and then pull out when you want to eat it.
The original recipe is for the grill and it is great that way, but winter cooking does not always make grilling convenient or even possible. I recently put it in the crock pot instead of grilling and it was great cooked that way too.
We prefer white meat but you can certainly use any cut of chicken you would like.
It is just a little spicy and goes great with plain vegetables or a rice dish. I love that it is made with healthy ingredients. I adapted my recipe from paleoleap.
Other Great Recipes
Follow my Keto Chicken Pinterest Board for dozens of ideas from all around the web! I am constantly finding new things to add so there will be new things all the time!
This recipe has it all
- Low Carb
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Whole 30
- Freezer Meal
- Crock Pot Cooking
- Or Grill
- Coconut Buttermilk Southwestern Chicken is pictured here with Cheesy Zucchini Boats and Low Carb Jalapeno Cheese Biscuits.
Does it have to be frozen?
No. Having it in the freezer is super helpful and the freezing process makes it very tender but it doesn’t have to be frozen. This can also be cooked after marinating in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
It was so very tender and moist. That is because the meat was frozen in the marinade. Somehow the process really does make it extra tender.
Make buttermilk with the coconut milk and lemon juice by combining and letting sit for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients except chicken to the buttermilk.
Stir to combine
Label your gallon ziplock freezer bag. Add chicken to bag and pour buttermilk mixture over.
Squish it together with your hands from the outside of the bag to coat the chicken well. Seal bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Freeze or let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours before cooking.
When you are ready to cook it, thaw at least mostly for the crock pot or if grilling, thaw thoroughly.
This is a true “dump meal”. Dump it in a greased crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
If you are grilling; remove chicken from marinade and grill 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Time to cook will depend on how thick your pieces are.
Coconut Buttermilk Southwestern Chicken is part of these collections:
If you make this Coconut Buttermilk Southwestern Chicken recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
Are you following me on Pinterest? I have been working very hard making new boards I think you will love and am adding dozens of new pins daily from all of the popular low carb and Keto websites! Check them out HERE!
You can also follow me on my Facebook groups; my Low Carb and Keto group; Low Carb & Keto Recipes & Helpful Tips Group, my recipes for everyone group; Best Recipes You will Want to Make and my Homeschool group; Loving Homeschool. I am adding daily pictures, links and much more than I would on the blogs and it is a place for you to find support from others on the same journey as you are. Come and share with others, ask questions and learn!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups coconut milk 1 13.5 oz can plus a little water to make 2 cups
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Make buttermilk with the coconut milk and lemon juice by combining and letting sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except chicken to the buttermilk.
- Stir to combine
- Label your gallon ziplock freezer bag. Add chicken to bag and pour buttermilk mixture over.
- Squish it together with your hands from the outside of the bag to coat the chicken well. Seal bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Freeze or let sit in refrigerator for at least 4 hours before cooking.
- When you are ready to cook it, thaw at least mostly for the crock pot or if grilling, thaw thoroughly.
- This is a true "dump meal". Dump it in a greased crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- If you are grilling; remove chicken from marinade and grill 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Time to cook will depend on how thick your pieces are.
Use any boneless cut of chicken you would like.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 4 oz
Amount Per Serving Calories 309Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 96mgSodium 223mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 37g
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.